The founder of the family was Bhangu Jat Chief Sahaj Singh of Makhowal, in Amritsar, who in 1759 visited the Jullundur Doab and annexed fourteen villages yielding about Rs. 20,000 between Phagwara and the Sutlej.
His grandson, Dayal Singh, was allowed by Bhatti Jat sikh ruler Maharaja Ranjit Singh to continue in possession of twelve of these villages under condition of providing twenty-three sowars when required for service. Dayal Singh’s son, Fateh Singh, rose to the rauk of colonel in the artiller.
He went back to the plough on the break-up of the Sikh army. Four villages were resumed at anneration in lieu of the services of the twenty-three horsemen which were dispensed with. In 1858, when the conquest jagir holdings were being revised, it was settled that the revenues of the villages of Asaor and Fatehpur should revert to Government on the death of Sardar Dayal Singh, who was allowed to hold them for life subject to an annual nazrana deduction of Rs. 678. Six villages, with an aggregate revenue of Rs. 1,500, were confirmed to Dayal Singh and his lineal male heirs subject to a deduction of half the revenue. The late Sardar Haram Singh was a minor when his grandfather died in 1868. He was educated at the Ambala Wards’ School. He was a Zaildar in his ilaga, and an Honorary Magistrate. In addition to the jagir already specified, he owned sir hundred and fifty ghumaons of land in Moron and seven hundred ghumaons in a village in Ambala, yielding about Rs. 4,000 per annum. He was connected by marriage with Sardar Narendra Singh of Sardar Heri in the Ambala district. He died in 1898. His son, Balwant Singh, the Head of the Estate, was along with his brother, Shiv Narain Singh, educated at the Aitchison College, Lahore. Sardar Balwant Singh was married in the Jat chief family of Sardar Uttar Singh later his successor was Dhanwant Singh and then his successor was Harwant Singh.