Qila Raipur





Qila Raipur

Hindi Name

किला रायपुर

Time Period



In year 1560 Rai Lala the son of Rai Fattu, the Grewal Jat Chief of Gujjarwal (and 40 other villages), left Gujjarwal and founded a new town and named it Kila Raipur. He established control over 40 villages which was recognized by Emperor Akbar. Both both father and son possessed 80 villages combined on payment of revenue to Mughal treasuries. Rai Lala Grewal had five sons, namely Ranga, Malla, Sameria, Karam Parkash and Sohavia, he adopted his nephew Sema as his own son. Each patti (ward), is known by the names of the sons of Rai Lala Grewal. The place used to have 3-4 forts which are now in ruins. Grewals land lords of Kila Raipur, Gujjarwal, Phallewal, adopted the Sikh Faith, when Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee, visited villages of Grewal Jat. A Gurdwara Damdama Sahib Patshahi Chhevin marks the site outside the village where Guru Sahib preached the Sikh Faith, to the Grewal Jat landlords of the area. The Chiefs of Raipur remained independent until 1760 when Rai Muhammad Khan Manj, the Chieftain of Raikot extended his over lordship from Badhni Kalan-Charik to the fortified city of Ludhiana. Grewal Jat landlords of Gujjarwal, Jodhan Mansuran, Baddowal and Kila Raipur came under the rule of Rai of Raikot. Chief of Kila Raipur was appointed chaudharies under the Rais of Raikot to collect revenue taxes on their behalf. this continued until year 1806 when forces of Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Lahore crossed the Sutlej River and annexed whole territory of the Rais of Raikot. The Grewal Jats remained the zamindars of Qila Raipur during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and Britshers. The Grewals of Qila Raipur were connected to important Jat families through marriages.

Maharajkumari Bibiji Ruby Rajibir Kaur Sahiba of Jind was married to Sardar Balbir Singh Grewal of Qila Raipur in the year 1920.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!