Gujjarwal, was founded by a Grewal Jat, Rai Gujjar Singh Grewal in year 1469 AD. Rai Fattu Grewal was the cheif of Gujjarwal during the time of Emperor Akbar. He possessed 40 villages. By the time of Sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee, the surrounding Grewals of Gujjarwal were already Sikhs. Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee, came to Gujjarwal in year 1631 AD. Rai Patuhi Grewal, who was cheif of Gujjarwal along with the village sangat came in the presence of Guru Hargobind Sahib. The Grewal Jat Rai of Gujjarwal became independent in the 18th century. During the end of 18th century, the Marathas imposed a tribute of 20,000 upon the rulers of Gujjarwal. In 1806, Maharaja Ranjit Singh took this area under his control. In 1809 the area passed to British East India Company. The Grewals of Gujjarwal held important positions in the British administration however lost there former status as independent rulers.