Hindi Name


Time Period

1760 to 1947


Sahib Singh joined the Kanhaiya confederacy about 1760, and fought under both Jai Singh and Hakikat Singh. He took possession of Taragarh in the Pathankot pargana of the Gurdaspur district, and after Bhatti Jat Chief Sardar Mahan Singh’s successful expedition against Jammu, Sahib Singh, who had accompanied it, received a grant of Sayadgarh, worth Rs. 30,000. He founded the village of  Wachoya, where he resided till his death in 1803. His estates in Taragarh, Sayadgarh and Wachoya were of the value of Rs. 90,000 and were held in tact by his four sons till 1812, when Maharaja Ranjit Singh marched against Taragarh, and after a short siege reduced the fort and confiscated a great portion of the estate. Twelve villages, including Wachoya, worth Rs. 10,000, were still left free of service; but in the ten years succeeding the confiscation, the four brothers all died, and Sardar Jawahir Singh succeeded to the estate with his cousins, Jaimal Singh, Sangat Singh and Ran Singh. They fought in many of the Maharaja’s campaigns, though their jagir was a subsistence one; and they had no obligation to supply a contingent, till Desa Singh Majithia, who was Governor of the Jullundur Doab, told Jawahir Singh, that a Sardar should give a contingent for the service of the State if he wished his name to endure, and fixed fifteen horsemen as the suitable number. The Veglia jagirs were not interfered with till 1846, when Raja Lal Singh, who had no love for Sardar Desa Singh, the family patron, took advantage of his departure to Benares to confiscate the whole estate but year afterwards the Darbar, with the sanction of the Resident,restored the jagir with an increased assessment of Rs. 21,000 and service of thirty sowars. During the disturbances of 1848-49 the Veglia family remained faithful. Didar Singh joined Captain Hod son with his contingent, and did good service at Rangar Nangal, Parma Nand and elsewhere.  At the annexation the whole personal estate of the family,amounting to Rs. 8,608, was released; one-third of the share of each descending to the lineal male heirs in perpetuity. Didar Singh became a Risaldar in the military police, and took his discharge at the time of the general reductions. He died in 1869. Sant Siugh, son of Ran Singh, was sent down to Delhi as Jamadar in the Risala raised by Major R. Lawrence in July, 1857, to serve with the Guide Cavalry at the siege. A portion of the Risala was permanently transferred to the Guide Corps; the remainder formed the nucleus ofthe Delhi Mounted Police, in which Sant Singh was promoted to be Risaldar. He served with zeal and ability till the reduction of the military police, when he received his discharge. He afterwards joined the provincial police as an Inspector. In 1866 he was transferred at his own request to the 4th Bengal Cavalry, in which regiment he was subsequently made Wardi-Major and Risaldar. He served through out the Afghan War of 1879-80, and acquitted himself well on several occasions before the enemy. He retired in 1882 after thirty-two years’meritorious service on a pension of Rs. 360 per annum. Risaldar Sant Singh died in 1891, leaving two sons, Harnam Singh and Harcharan Singh. Harnam Singh was till his death in 1939 recognised as the head of the family and resided in the Gurdaspur district. His son, Gurdial Singh was married in the Atari family. The second son, Harcharan Singh, served in the transport department during the Sudan expedition of 1885. In the Tirab campaign of 1897 he volunteered his services,worked without pay for the Chief Commissariat Officer, and his services were highly appreciated. In 1901 he was appointed manager of the Domri and Bodarwar estates in the Gorakhpur district. He was an Honorary Munsif for about 16 years in that district; and a member of the Court of Wards Committee and of the Government Railway Technical School, Gorakhpur. His son, Sardar Sudarshan Singh, after being educated at the Aitchison College, joined the police department as Inspector and is now posted at Delhi as Additional Superintendent of Police. He was awarded the title of Sardar Sahib in 1925 and the King’s Police Medal in 1926. Sardar Harbakhsh Singh, son of Sardar Lachhman Singh, was Ala -Lambardar of Wachoya in the Ajnala Tahsil. The family is in receipt of a jagir income of about Rs. 1,025, and owns about 2,200 bighas of land in the Amritsar and Gurdaspur districts.


  • Sahib Singh, Founder Of Veglia, was served the powerful kanhaiya Misl, Under the Sandhu Jat ruler Sardar Jai Singh Kanhaiya ,Later in 1760s he also served under Bhatti Jat ruler Sardar Mahan Singh Of Sukerchakia Misl, was successful in an expedition against the Jammu Chief’s , also he received in grant ,the village of Sayadgarh worth Rs 30,000.He also took possession of the village of Targarh and founded the village of Wachoya (now Vachoa), Gurdaspur, When he was died in 1803, his Estate valued was Rs.90000 , was married had issues with four sons –
    • Jodh Singh, was married had issues with two sons –
      • Jawahar Singh
      • Didar Singh (b.1803-d.1869)
    • Bir Singh , was married had issues with four sons –
      • Ran Singh, was married had issues with two sons –
        • Sant Singh (b.1832-d.1891)
        • Lachman Singh
      • Dal Singh
      • Fateh Singh
    • Amir Singh
    • Kahn Singh , was married had issue with one son –
      • Sangat Singh (d.1837), was married had issues with three sons –
        • Fateh Singh
        • Asa Singh
        • Ala Singh (d 1870), was married had issues with three sons –
          • Jamiat Singh (b.1864)
          • Ganesha Singh (d.1867)
          • Jagat Singh (b 1864)
  • Sardar Jawahar Singh,Jagirdar Of Veglia, was fought in serval of the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Of Lahore campaigns, although their large Jagir was a subsistence one,they had no obligation to supply the Maharaja a contingent of troops or horse’s when demand necessary, during the rebellion of 1848-49.he was remained loyal to the british Goverment.
  • Sardar Sant Singh, Jagirdar Of Veglia, was born in 1832 , after then death of SardarJawahar Singh then Sardar Ran Singh he become head of the family, In 1857, his maiden duty included, being dispatched to Delhi as Captain in the Mounted Troops (Risala), which was raised by Major Henry Lawrence. He also served with the Guide Cavalry, at the siege of Delhi. A portion of the Mounted Troops was permanently transferred to the Guide Corps, and the remainder formed the foundation of the Delhi Mounted Police, in which SardarSant Singh was promoted to Commander. He served with distinction, until the reduction of the Military Police,In 1866, he was transferred at his own request, as Commander to the Fourth Bengal Cavalry. It was in this regiment, that he was promoted to the rank of Major-Commander. He served throughout the Afghan Wars of 1878-80,Sardar Sant Singh retired on a decent pension, in 1882. He was survived by his two sons;
    • Harnam Singh (b.1870-d.1939), was married had issue with one son -
      • Gurdayal Singh (b.1890-d.1937), was married had issues with three sons -
        • Jasvir Singh , was married had issue with one son -
          • Sukhsimratpal Singh, was married had issue with one daughter –
            • Dr.Samrina Kaur Sahiba
        • Trilochan Singh (b 1920- d.1997),was served as an engineer in the Indian Air Force and took voluntary retirement. He settled at Wachoya, where he died, had issues with two sons -
          • Harsimrat pal Singh (b.1950), was married had issues with two sons -
            • Sukhmandip Singh
            • Harmandip Singh
          • Gursimratpal Singh, (b.1955-d.2018), was married had issue with one son -
            • Gurmandeep Singh (b.1983), was married had issue with one son -
              • Vardan Singh Bhullar
    • Harcharan Singh (d.1938), was married had issue with one son -
      • Sudarshan Singh (b.1886-d.1945)
  • Sardar Bahadur Sudarshan Singh, Jagirdar Of Veglia - studied at Lahore. He joined the police department as Inspector, and became Additional Superintendent of Police, in Delhi. In 1925, he was bestowed with the title of 'Sardar Sahib', and received the King's Police Medal in 1926. He was involved in the settlement and negotiation for peace, regarding the ship 'Komagata Maru', which had docked at Calcutta harbour, in1914. Later, at short notice, he was put on emergency duties at Kasur (Pakistan), as police security, on the night of the hanging of the legendary freedom fighter Sardar Bhagat Singh and his associates, in 1931. Prior to his arrival at Lahore Jail, he took with him a Sikh priest (Granthi), and a Hindu Pandit, to make sure the last rights of the defendants, according to religious traditions were implemented. Sardar Sahib Sudarshan Singh retired as Superintendent of Police (SP) of Lahore, in 1941, was married to Sardarni Gurprakash Kaur Sahiba ,the daughter of Sardar Achhar Singh Of Alawalpur, had issues with one daughter and one son , He died 1945 -
    • Bibiji Manjit Kaur Sahiba, was married to Sardar Rishikesh Singh Majithia
    • Atamjit Singh
  • Sardar Atamjit Singh, Jagirdar Of Veglia, was born in 1918, ans received his education from Aitchison college, and graduated from goverment college, Lahore and married to Daughter of Sardar Bahadur Gurdial Singh Dulat (OBE), the Home Minister Of Nabha State, He retired as a senior executive in 1974 and settled in Dehradun, had issue with son -
    • Kalyaninder Singh (b.1945)
  • Sardar Kalyaninder Singh, Jagirdar Of Veglia, received his education from the Daly College Indore, Madhya Pradesh,He graduated from the Cove, antent College for Boys, Chandigarh, and later joined the internationally reputed Glaxo PharmaCompany(GlaxoSmithKline)as a Marketing Executive for 10 years. He has twice received the 'Award of Excellence in the national sales category. Kalyan Inder Singh is married to Manpreet Kaur, daughter of Colonel R.S. Grewal, of Qila Raipur, in Ludhiana District, and SardarniSatinderpal Kaur of Attari (she is a descendent of General Chattar Singh Attariwala), had issues with one daughter and one son -
    • Bibiji Kanika Kaur , was born in 1978, married to Ashish Butail, M.L.A Of Palampur(H.P)
    • Udai Singh Bhullar , was born in 1981, hascompleted his graduation, with a diploma in business, law and marketing, from Reading College in Berkshire, England.He worked for a short period, with the Indian global telecommunications company, Bharti Airtel, and was earlier also involved in solar panelling. Presently, he has now ventured into Adventure Tourism' in Himachal Pradesh, India.
error: Alert: Content is protected !!