JASSA SINGH OF NAUSHEHRA NANGLI (b. 1793), son of Kahn Singh was born to Shergill Jat family of Naushehra Nangli, a village in Amritsar district. One Chaudhari Sarvani, a descendant of Chaudhari Sher Singh, founder of the tribe, built the village of Naushehra, also called Raipur Sarvani, during the reign of Emperor Shahjahan. The emperor allowed him to hold it free of rent as a remuneration for the collection of revenue from the districts around it. The family retained the office of chmidhanat for several generations and continued collecting revenue and depositing it into the imperial treasury till at last Mira Singh, grandfather of Jassa Singh, joined Kanhaiya Sardars about 1752.
Jassa Singh`s father first served the Kanhaiyas and, after their fall, Maharaja Ranjit Singh. When Desa Singh Majithia look over governorship of the hill districts lying between tlie Beas and the Ravi, both Jassa Singh and his father served under him, performing military as well as civil duties. Jassa Singh held charge of the Golden Temple at Amritsar for two years under Lehna Singh Majithia. He continued to be in the employ of the Sikh government until the advent of the British who dispensed with his services. He was allowed to retain lands worth Rs 2,800 annually, mainly in Gurdaspur district. His son, Harnam Singh, served as deputy inspector of police under the British.
- L.H Griffin, , and C.F. Massy, Chiefs anil Families of Note in the Punjab. Lahore, 1909